Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ecowhimsyart

Hello Friends! 
This post has been the most read story on Pez Palz! I thought it needed to be moved back to the Top! So here it is!   

Lately I have been attracted to Pez art.  This world is full of fabulous people who make it so beautiful.  While browsing around looking for pez on Etsy I found these fabulous works of art.  

After coming across Kristi’s art. I wanted to know what inspired her to reinvent the discarded Pez she finds.  I think her work is brilliant.   


Artist: Kristi Slevin-Giesler 
Owner of ecowhimsyart on Etsy

As for my inspiration - I am calling this phase in my art my "Pez Period"...lol. I have several pieces that are not even on Etsy and a notebook full of sketches for future pieces. One of my bucket list items is to be in a gallery some day...I am working on that...slowly. For now, I choose to spend the majority of my free time with my two precious little boys...who provide an infinite amount of inspiration but leave me very little time to create and execute - only sketch my musings. :)


It may sound cliche but I truly am inspired by everything and I am easily amused! I am always up for a good pun which I aim to incorporate into my artwork.

My sister and grandmother both collect Pez dispensers so I am always looking to add to their collections. As an avid thrift store shopper, I often come across castaway holiday Pez dispensers. They kind of remind me of the Island of Misfit Toys, tucked away in quarter or fifty cent bags, longing to be of value to someone...again. I thought, I have to put all of these misfit Pez dispensers to use somehow and give them a new value since most collectors only place a value of pennies on these commoners. I started buying them all up when I found them and before long, had a surplus of the little pop culture beauties!!!


I love the color and dimension of Pez, juxtaposed with the reflective properties of the glass within old upcycled frames, for me, creates unique and interactive experiences with each of my art pieces. You can't help but want to touch them, get up close and personal with each piece, explore, be transported back to your childhood, react to the titles, and hopefully, have a good laugh and smile every time you experience them. Each of my Pez pieces reminds me to keep things simple in life, laugh often, repurpose, and unleash that inner child within all of us.


Peace, love, PEZ and upcycle! 
Kristi :)

To check out Kristi's awesome work for sale check out Ecowhimsyart

No comments:

Post a Comment